Tennessee has a newly bald bishop

Bishop William T. McAlilly of the Nashville Episcopal Area cringes as a youth shaves his head in celebration of raising $24,000 for YSF.   UMR Photo by Jay Voorhees

Bishop William T. McAlilly of the Nashville Episcopal Area cringes as Becky Miller of Epworth UMC shaves his head in celebration of raising $24,000 for YSF.
UMR Photo by Jay Voorhees

Murfreesboro, Tenn. — This summer, while participating in the Tennessee Annual Conference youth event Summer Sizzler, Bishop Bill McAlilly made a challenge. He was talking with youth in the conference about the importance of the Youth Service Fund (YSF), and challenged them to expand their fundraising efforts for the program. Wanting to spur them forward, he told them that if they would raise $20,000 for YSF by their Warmth in Winter event in late January, he would let them shave his head. He wasn’t that worried – after all the youth had only raised $12,000 the previous year, and only $3,000 the year before that.

So when he came out on stage to have his head shaved tonight at Warmth in Winter, he had an excited look of pride at the accomplishment of his conference’s youth as they celebrated raising over $24,000 toward YSF.

“I did it because I love youth and I recognize the important of YSF,” McAlilly said. “I was on the conference youth council in North Mississippi from 1972-1974,” he said. “I’ve been committed to youth ministry throughout all my career.”

Youth Service Fund is a national fund created by youth to serve youth. Each year youth raise funds to contribute to the fund, 70% of which stay in their annual conference, with the remaining 30% going to fund projects throughout the world.

BaldBishop2“I don’t know of any annual conference that has increased their contributions this quickly,” McAlilly told the group. “We need to offer a challenge to all the other annual conferences to step up and do what we’ve done.”

McAlilly cringed a bit as the scissors were taken to his hair. “This is weird,” he said.

But when his head was shaved, he raised his arms in triumph with pride for what the youth of the annual conference he leads had accomplished. “I am absolutely ecstatic with how great they are,” he said.

Jay Voorhees, Former Executive Editor

The Rev. Jay Voorhees is the Executive Editor of The United Methodist Reporter and the Chief Creative Officer for CircuitWriter Media LLC which operates this site and MethoBlog.com. Jay is an ordained elder in the Tennessee Annual Conference. Jay has written on life and the practice of faith in The United Methodist Church at Only Wonder Understands since 2003.

Facebook Twitter Google+ YouTube 

Leave a Reply

2 Comments on "Tennessee has a newly bald bishop"

applications-education-miscellaneous.png
The United Methodist Reporter wants to encourage lively conversation about The United Methodist Church and our articles in the belief that Christian conversation (what Wesley would call conferencing) is a means of grace. While we support passionate debate, we cannot allow language that demeans or demonizes others, and we reserve the right to delete any comment we believe to be harmful or inappropriate. We encourage all to remember that we are all broken and in need of Christ's grace, and that we all see through the glass darkly until that time we when reach full perfection in love. May your speech here be tempered with love, and reflection of the fruits of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. After all, "There is no law against things like this." (Galatians 5:22-23)
 
Notify of
avatar
Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Deen Thompson
Guest

First it turns gray and then it turns loose. Congratulations to the youth of Tennessee and our Bishop.

Eric Limbo
Guest

Way to go Youth and Way to Go Bishop!
I was thinking about shaving my head in solidarity with you, but I am afraid what little I have wouldn’t grow back and I am sad to say that no one would notice a difference anyway! Congratulations!

wpDiscuz
Google+
%d bloggers like this: